9/28/15

Step 271 - I will accept responsibility today. (MP3) Entry for Step 270 - With power comes responsibility.


Greetings All –

Step 271 - I will accept responsibility today. (MP3) [Open in Drive or copy to your Drive – Download folder or play from Drive – Step PDF also.]

Greetings All –

I will accept responsibility today. Step 271

ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY, which is your ability to respond. Accept this, cultivate it, cherish it and welcome it. It is what will make you strong. It is what will make you devoted. It is what will bring to you the relationships you have always desired. This is the empowerment you so desperately need which you are learning now to claim for yourself. With this empowerment come the conditions for empowerment—that you respond to Knowledge and follow Knowledge, that you refrain from all motivations that are not born of Knowledge, that you become objective with yourself and your motives, that you question yourself without doubting yourself and that you surround yourself with individuals who can support the emergence of Knowledge within you and are free to tell you their own perceptions. This is essential for your well-being and development. This will protect you from self-error, which as you become more powerful will have greater and greater impact upon you and others.

ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY TODAY. Accept this, for it represents your truest and greatest need. Responsibility will enable you to love and extend yourself into the world.

UPON THE HOUR THINK OF TODAY’S IDEA. And as you enter meditation twice today, take full responsibility for being a student of Knowledge and enter into stillness and silence with your complete being. Let no thought or doubt dissuade you. Do not let ambivalence hold you back. Press onward. Open yourself. Enter the mystery of your life so that you may be able to respond to it, for this is the meaning of responsibility.

PRACTICE 271: Two 30-minute practice periods. Hourly practice.


Did I want to know this? I do want the world to be a better place, but seeking this from a position of powerlessness certainly is difficult, and then to be responsible with any power, well that is a greater challenge. This simple idea makes sense, but it also makes complaining more difficult, as responsibility for improvement lies with me and I don’t know what to do.

In the journal I dealt with some of this challenge including my fear of being a mono maniac, focused on a single thing like Captain Ahab in pursuit of Moby Dick, the white whale which had taken his leg in an earlier confrontation and led to tragedy for his ship and crew.


This analogy may not make sense to some, but it had been a concern of mine long before learning about Greater Community Spirituality.

As for this Step and others, there is some comfort to me and my being a slow learner in that, we aren’t expected to get it all of the understanding via experience in the first or even second consideration of a Step/Steps. Achieving the goals set out in Steps to Knowledge is consuming lifetimes, no doubt, but what else is there to do in time?

12:05 a.m. Wednesday, April 12, 2000 – Today I need movement –

– The transportation you need will be a function of land-use – the distances between home & work, shopping, school, recreation – and the number of units/Households/people – everyone with a vehicle

– Midway through the suburban century. 1950 – 2000 – 2050 – It doesn't work – yet that's where all the political power will be 2004. 25% cities – 50% suburbs 25% rural.

Can't build enough roads – manage traffic

1:03 p.m. Wednesday, April 12 – 1st Practice – "With power comes responsibility." I've not wanted power all my life because of the responsibility and conflict it brings. My presence, my ideas generate conflict – therefore I've stayed low on the radar.

It seemed to me that you could not have power unless you had physical might and strength – Getting others to use their strength on my behalf always got me into more trouble.

Looking at the Viet Nam time, I went and listed so I wouldn't be an officer sending people into battle. I understand the military and have those instincts, but leave that to others now.

I've avoided physical confrontations and danger always – I learned Tai Chi for defense, but never had to use it – ---

Fear of attack for my ideas is not new. If Knowledge wants to use me – fine – I'm just not into more pain. I stopped viewing myself as weak years ago – particularly because I'd been strong & responsible for the kids and the PDC. I was there to keep things going.

I'm subject to criticism – and it may be justified – I was doing the best I could and not getting all the help I could.

I understand completely and deeply that power leads to responsibility. My dilemma is that I'd like to change things – that requires power – and I'm afraid of it for reasons known and unknown.

My ambition is to improve the world w/o causing conflict for others. Some thrive on conflict – I'm tired of conflict. The times have been interesting too long.

There doesn't, however, seem to be a choice other than to align with Knowledge. I have squandered some of my power through ambivalence. We work on that later. Captain Ahab's mono mania scared me – any one-note song does.

Practice #2  9 p.m. I'm tired, wasted – I need my transportation futures speech tomorrow – must leave @ 7 a.m. To get to RADCO by 9 a.m.

9:55 p.m. – Well – I mapped out four pages of brain stretching transportation stuff. I'm glad David's room is clear now for my meditation. I'm relieved that I have the outline – my mind has always delivered – in the service of my spirit. (The final presentation)

My ideas about power!

Who needs it? Power for what? Raw natural power in the movement of wind, water, the land. The focused power of plants – turning soil/green into food, rock busters; or animals – power is the life force that must be doing something always to sustain and expand.

As people deal with one form of power they may seek to dominate – to impose their will on others. This is not being responsible.

Here in this room, in this house – 607 Midland – looking at all of the books, wood work furniture, the walls/ceiling, clothing – and it is the marvelous work of …

Responsibilities "…provide the protection and the guidance that you need so that you may develop appropriately, positively and completely."

Power is a difficult topic. Let us continue so that our understanding may improve to the point that we become useful to Knowledge in the world.

NNC

Journal second time x2 Step 270.  This is for those who have completed Steps once. Doing Steps with only the texts, messages and your life experience, including what you may have studied and practiced is your journey. I’m showing Step comments after the Step, so as not to influence you in advance. It is a wilderness trek to be left to your own wits, but then you can also listen more closely for guides, angels and teachers, always first saying: “I surround and protect myself with the Love and the Grace of God.” Thankfully, I was taught this practice in 1989.

P.S. If you’ve some interest due to this or other Steps, you should go to the beginning blog post. From here you will learn about Steps to Knowledge and can begin it on the day that makes sense; then progress as needed. You can use the posts on this blog as a companion if it helps. They will remain in order in the archives - one post per Step.

Often it takes 18 months to get through the Steps once. For this blog, the pace is one-a-day, but it really makes no difference how fast you do it, only that you begin, persist and repeat. Posts here provide a trail that may let you have a virtual companion when and if you want one. One may have to study alone, as I did in the beginning. There are other Steps students blogging their experience and you might find a person more like you as a companion, or use a number of such Steps journeys. There are options as well through the Free School of the New Message.